Sweetbirds Banana Syrup
The most commonly consumed fruit, banana is a sweet, mellow fruit with higher sugar concentrations than the unripe green banana making it less starchy. It is the fruit of the largest herbaceous flowering plant.
Eaten raw as an energy-giving, nutritious snack, banana is also eaten steamed in banana leaves, baked or deep-fried. It is widely used as a pudding flavour with famous desserts including the banana split, banoffee pie, banana fritters and banana bread.
Go bananas and add the strong ripe banana nose and velvety sweet banana flambé taste of Sweetbirds Banana syrup to create an endless array of cocktails, dessert drinks, smoothies, coffees, chocolates, flavoured milk drinks and fruit punches.
Banana Coffee Cake
- 100g butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 30ml Sweetbirds Banana Syrup
- 11⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 50ml cup strong espresso, cooled
- 1⁄4 cup milk (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 11⁄2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground coffee
1. Preheat oven to 180 C/160 C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm (base measurement) springform pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then banana syrup, until blended. Fold in flour sifted with soda alternately with cooled coffee. (If mixture is thick, beat in milk.) Pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Combine pecans, brown sugar and ground coffee; sprinkle over batter. Bake 35 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool 5 minutes in pan; remove ring and serve warm.